24 December 2008

My Christmas Wish. For You.

I posted this on my FB profile, and thought I would post it here as well.

Some of you believe.
Some of you don't.
And some of you just don't give it much thought at all.

If you know me, you may think I'm talking about God. But I'm not. Yes, I am a Christ-follower, and thank God every day for His amazing gift of the Glorious Impossible. But this note is about Santa. Because the real story of jolly old St. Nick is a great one:

"Nicholas was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships (because of their importance in delivering food and supplies).

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. He died December 6, AD 343. It is said Nicholas gave everything he had away to help those in need." (exerpts from the St. Nicholas Center)

I pray this holiday season is filled with laughter and cheer and cherished moments that linger as good memories for years. And this Christmas, I hope you will discover the joy that comes from giving yourself away to the poor, the outcast, the fatherless, the homeless, the broken. If you've read my blogs, you know that nothing feels as good as pouring your life into those who may never have the opportunity to repay you. There are a lot of hurting people out there. All the while, you hold amazing gifts to help them - your time, talent, or treasure.

Say no to wrong.
Learn to do good.
Work for justice.
Help the down-and-out.
Stand up for the homeless.
Go to bat for the defenseless. (Isaiah 1:17, The Message)

A very Merry Christmas to each and every one of you. And here's to a wonderful 2009!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I left you a comment regarding one of your blogs from when you were in Lomonosov Russia. Please tell me everything about it and how you were able to visit with the children at that orphanage? Do you have any other pictures? If so, please post them. This is a very special place for me. You can email any pics or comments to hooleeo2007@yahoo.com